NEWS FLASH - Bundaberg City Council chooses NB-IoT enabled NUmeter for latest smart metering trials
Category: In the News
Here are some excerpts from the Council’s announcement…
- Efficiencies and cost savings for Council and the ability for residents to keep a closer eye on water consumption are just some of the benefits of new smart water meters being installed in 1,250 homes throughout the region.
- “The ability to provide a customer portal through which residents can manage their own water consumption was a factor in choosing the successful applicants for this project,” Cr Bartels said.
- “This will mean that residents involved in the trial will be able to receive near real time information about water usage, avoiding ‘bill shock’and identifying potential leaks sooner.” Cr Bartels said the new system would also provide benefits for Council’s water services team.
- “The data that can be collected from smart meters is invaluable from an operational perspective. The data from the smart meters is transmitted to a central point and, if rolled out permanently across the region, would mean manual meter reading would no longer be required.
- “With more than a quarter of the region’s mechanical water meters needing replacement as a result of age and potential unreliability, the timing is right to investigate this technology and the many benefits and efficiencies it can deliver.”
- As part of the trial a digital meter or a transmitter will be installed on the identified properties. In some instances, properties already have a mechanical meter that is compatible with digital technology and only a transmitter will be required.
- “Properties in the Bundaberg CBD, Childers, Gin Gin and Burnett Heads will be involved in the trial. Each of the participating properties have been contacted by letter, with transmitter installations to begin before Christmas and water meter installations early in the New Year.”
- Cr Bartels said residents in the trial area would have access to the online portal following the completion of installation in early 2019.
- For more information and to view the trial location maps head to this page.
Discover more about the NB-IoT ready NUmeter here.